If so, there are a few things to know. First, as an applicant, you will find a cooperative and friendly spirit among the businesses, merchants, employees and residents of the Town of Blacksburg. Our goal is to help you plan a safe and successful community event.
Individuals or organizations thinking of holding an event in the public right of way downtown, must file an application with the town at least 30 days in advance of the event. If you’re planning a larger event that will take place over two or more days, please file your application 60 days in advance. When scheduling your event, be sure to check the town events calendar, Downtown Blacksburg, Inc., and Step Into Blacksburg for potential conflicts.
Events may include single or multiple day festivals, concerts, and the like. If you are planning a stand-alone parade, race, walk, or bicycle event that is not part of a larger event, please save yourself some time and fill out the one page parade permit form below. However, if you are planning a race or a parade as part of a larger festival, you must fill out the full downtown event application.
For demonstrations, picketing, and other expressive activities, please visit Expressive Activities and Free Speech.
A completed and signed application can be emailed to the Community Relations office at events@blacksburg,gov, dropped off at the Community Relations Office, 203 Washington Street, SW, or mailed to the Community Relations Office, 300 South Main Street, PO Box 90003, Blacksburg, VA 24062-9003.
A nonrefundable processing fee must be submitted. Checks should be made out to the Town of Blacksburg, and in the memo section, please write the name of the event. Please send payment to Finance Department at 300 South Main Street, PO Box 90003, Blacksburg, VA 24062-9003, or visit the cashier’s window on the second floor of the Blacksburg Municipal Building at 300 South Main Street.
Insurance forms should list Town of Blacksburg as additional insured.
Use of Virginia Tech public space (Henderson Lawn, Media Lawn, etc) visit https://campuslife.vt.edu/Events/event_planning.html.
Fireworks Permit (PDF)
Parade Permit Application (PDF) (For stand-alone parades, and races that are not part of a larger event)
If you are interested in reserving an athletic field, shelter, or park for an event, please contact Parks and Recreation at 540-443-1100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events at the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center
To be eligible to hold a parade, run, walk or bicycle event at the VT Corporate Research Center the following information needs to be submitted to email@example.com at least 60 days prior to the date of the event. The VTCRC reserves the right to limit the amount of public events within the VTCRC.
- Completed VTCRC Race Authorization Request Form
- Detailed map of area/s of use within the VTCRC
- Copy of Certificate of Insurance
- Copy of approved Town of Blacksburg Parade Application
- The VTCRC is a business property manager and all tenants have the right to be on VTCRC premises at any time. A route or transportation will need to be provided for tenants during the event to allow them access to their suites.
- Organizers agree that VTCRC tenants will be permitted to get to their offices with minimal delay. Organizers agree that all marshals will be instructed to ensure that the needs of VTCRC tenants are met.
- The VTCRC holds the rights to have one representative present at the race under supervisory conditions (i.e. to monitor event) and is not required to pay any form of registration or ticket fee.
For more information at holding an event at the VTCRC, contact Mary Heavener, Event Coordinator & Tenant Liaison, at 540-961-3600, ext. 2107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.