In order to provide the highest quality of service to the Town of Blacksburg, the police department actively recruits for police officers. Applicants must meet exact criteria to be considered for the position.
Blacksburg recruiting officers attend numerous career fairs at colleges, universities and military bases. Information is provided about the Town of Blacksburg, the Blacksburg Police Department, and the surrounding area.
If you are interested in a career with the Blacksburg Police Department or have questions concerning a position or job description, email a recruiting officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-443-1418, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The mission of the Blacksburg Police Department is to provide exceptional service and protection through leadership and partnership with the community. An EEO Employer.
Blacksburg Police Department Police Officer Selection Requirements
I. Conditions of Employment
A. Must be a citizen of the United States.
B. Must be at least 21 years of age.
C. Live within a 25 mile radius of Blacksburg or be willing to relocate.
D. Must be physically able to perform essential job functions which are attached.
E. Vision must be corrected to 20/20 and may not exceed the following: vision must be 20/50 or better in one eye
uncorrected and 20/100 or better in the other eye uncorrected. Color blindness shall be disqualifying, to include pronounced shade deficiencies.
F. Must be a high school graduate from an accredited high school.
G. Must currently have or obtain a valid Virginia Driver's License within 30 days of employment.
H. No criminal convictions - minor traffic violations are allowed.
I. Must have good credit rating.
J. Must successfully complete all phases of the selection process.
K. Upon appointment, you will serve as a probationary employee for one (1) year. Officers serving in a probationary status may have that period extended for "less than satisfactory job performance" or be dismissed from employment at the discretion of the chief of police.
A. Criminal History
1. Felony conviction.
2. Conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude (a crime involving honesty, moral conduct, etc.).
3. Conviction of a Class 1 or Class 2 misdemeanor Code of Virginia, or the equivalent.
4. Conviction of a Class 3 or Class 4 misdemeanor Code of Virginia, or the equivalent (Evaluated on a case by case basis).
B. Traffic Violations
1. Minus eight points on a Virginia Operators License or the equivalent for out of state license.
2. Conviction of Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol, Refusal to take Blood or Breath Test, Eluding Police, Hit and Run, or Racing.
3. Suspension/Revocation of Driving Privileges will be reviewed on an individual basis.
C. Drug Use
1. Use of any type of illegal drug within 30 days prior to application to the department.
2. Illegal use of anabolic steroids in the past 12 months.
3. Involvement in the illegal sales of drugs.
4. Possession of any illicit drugs within the past two years.
1. Dishonorable discharge from any military service. Less than honorable or general discharges will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
2. Untruthfulness, dishonesty or withholding of any information associated with the application/selection process for police officer with the Town of Blacksburg.
3. Failure to provide complete and accurate information on any application or other documents associated with the position.
4. Failure to appear for or cancel a scheduled appointment in a timely manner can be grounds for removal of the applicant from the application/selection process. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment.
5. Obtaining a score that is below the established minimum standard on any test or evaluation administered during the selection process.