If Florence affects services for the Town of Blacksburg, information will be posted here with the most recent updates listed at the top. In addition to this page, the Town of Blacksburg will post information via Citizens Alert, on Facebook, Twitter, and WTOB. Montgomery County also has a Florence webpage at https://montva.com/florence.
What to Do with Those Sandbags?
The sandbags distributed in advance of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Florence do not need to be returned to the Town of Blacksburg, however, if residents wish to do so, they may be dropped off Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:00 pm at the Public Works lot, 2700 Prosperity Road.
Residents are encouraged to keep the sandbags for future weather emergencies. They can also be used as a soil amendment or for projects around the house, but they are not UV resistant and will degrade if left exposed to sunlight. Please do not dispose of the sandbags in refuse carts as they are very heavy and may exceed the carrying capacity of the carts.
Downtown businesses that do not wish to keep their sandbags may place them on the wooden pallets left downtown, and Public Works will collect them this week.
For additional information please call 540-443-1200.
The Town of Blacksburg will have a sandbag filling station for residents at the Blacksburg Community Center, 725 Patrick Henry Dr., Saturday, Sept. 15, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. or until supplies run out.
Sandbags and shovels will be provided for individuals to fill their own sandbags. There is a six bag limit.
For more information on the sandbag filling station please contact the Public Works Department at 540-443-1200.
Loss of power/water service
If you lose power, please contact your power company:
Appalachian Power 1-800-956-4237
Virginia Tech Electric 540-231-6437
For water service outages, call the Blacksburg Police Department non-emergency line at 540-443-1400.
How do I stay informed of closings/postponements?
- Sign up for Citizens Alert at https://member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611857#/signup.
- Check http://blacksburg.gov/closings for the latest town closures and delays.
- Tune into your local news and radio stations.
- For Montgomery County Public School closings, sign up at http://forms.mcps.org/delayclosing.asp.
- Virginia Tech status https://vt.edu/status.html
How to prepare for hurricane-related weather
Hurricanes generate so much water that low lying areas will likely flood. While such flooding may not be avoidable, there are some things that you can do to help minimize street and property flooding.
- Clean out your roof gutters.
- Remove anything that could block the flow of water in roadside ditches; this includes leaves, grass clippings, lawn debris, or trash.
- If you know your home or business floods during heavy rains, consider installing a row of sandbags, at least two feet high, around all home and business entrances.
- Park your vehicle on higher ground.
- If you are at high risk, consider evacuating. If you do, unplug all appliances and electronics and turn off electricity to the structure before leaving.
- Secure any outdoor objects that could become deadly airborne missile during strong hurricane winds, including patio umbrellas, lawn furniture, flower pots, children’s toys, etc.
- Gather items for an Emergency Kit including food, water, prescriptions, flashlights, extra batteries, phone chargers, and any other critical items you may need.
More information, including detailed plans on how to create an Emergency Kit, and more resources can be found at http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit.