Additional Business Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 Register a Trade Name

Trade names must be registered with:

Clerk of the Circuit Court
P.O. Box 6309,
Christiansburg, VA 24068

Register a Corporation or Limited Partnership

All corporations, (foreign and domestic), and limited partnerships conducting business in Virginia must register with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. To become incorporated in Virginia, an organization must file trade names, DBAs, articles of incorporation and amendments with:

State Corporation Commission
P.O. Box 1197
Richmond, VA 23209

Virginia Registered Agent

State Contractors License

All contractors who bid upon or undertake single jobs of $1,000.00 or more must register with the State Board of Contractors. (Class A - $70,000.00 or more; Class B - $7,500.00 - $70,000.00; Class C - $1,000.00 - $7,500.00)

Board of Contractors
3600 West Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23230

PSI Examination Services

Alcoholic Beverage License 

The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control exercises a monopoly over the importation and sale of alcoholic beverages other than beer and wine. Licenses are issued for the manufacture of liquors, the wholesaling of beer and wine, the sale of beer and wine and the sale at retail of spirits by the drink.
Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
545 W. Main St.
Abingdon, VA 24210

Department of Health Permit

To obtain a permit from the Health Department, contact:
Montgomery County Health Department
210 Pepper St., Ste. A  
Christiansburg, VA 24073

Zoning Requirements for a Certificate of Use

The Zoning Ordinance allows businesses of various kinds to be located in some areas, but not others. Conditional Use Permits are required for certain businesses, and there are many areas in which no businesses of any kind are allowed. If you work out of your residence, you may qualify for a home occupation permit. With any zoning questions, please contact:

Planning and Building Department 
400 S. Main St.
Blacksburg, VA 24060

Agriculture & Consumer Services Department  

Blacksburg Partnership
202 S. Main St., Blacksburg, VA 24060 
Department of Game & Inland Fisheries
2206 S. Main St., Blacksburg, VA 24060 
Division of International Trade   804-371-0005
Downtown Blacksburg, Inc. (Merchants association)
149 College Ave., Blacksburg, VA 24060 
Fire Department  540-443-1475
Licensing & Titling of Motor Vehicles
Department of Motor Vehicles – DMV
385 Arbor Dr., Christiansburg, VA 24073
Montgomery Regional Solid Waste
55 Authority Dr., Christiansburg,, VA 24073  
Patent/Trademark 703-308-4357 or
Roanoke Regional Small Bus. Dev. Center 540-983-0717
Utility Department 540-443-1060
VDOT 540-387-5320
Virginia Cooperative Extension 540-772-7524

Better Business Bureau
31 W. Campbell Ave. Roanoke, VA 24011

Small Business Administration (SCORE)


VT Knowledgeworks