Setting Up Your New Place

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Bills, Bills, Bills

Now that you are living off campus you need to sign up for utilities. Water and sewer is provided through the Town of Blacksburg. To set up new service or to change the name on an existing bill, call Utility Billing Services at 540-443-1060 at least ten business days before the service is to begin. And when you move out, call them to get the bill out of your name at least ten business days before you are moving out. To learn more about the town’s utility service, including how to sign up for auto pay and paying online, visit the Utility Service page.

Natural Gas

Atmos Energy: 888-286-6700  


Appalachian Power: 800-956-4237
Virginia Tech Electric: 540-231-6437


Most apartment complexes offer trash and recycling. However, if you choose to live in a home or townhome in a residential area, you can learn when your trash and recycling is collected at the town's Recycling Page. Here you can also find out what can be recycled and where you can drop off electronics, batteries, etc.

Car Registration

If you are a resident of the Town of Blacksburg and own a vehicle, you are required to pay a local vehicle tax. The town does not give vehicle decals. To register your vehicle, visit the Vehicle License Tax page. Oh, and you can pay with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or your Hokie Passport.

Voter Registration

Voter registration is done through Montgomery County. Check out how to register to vote and election information at Voter Registration and Elections.

Pet Licenses

Woof Woof! Montgomery County requires all pet owners to tag dogs six months or older. It’s $5 for dogs; $3 if they are neutered or spayed. A current certificate of rabies inoculation is required, as well as a veterinarian's certificate of neutering or spaying. Dog licenses, although issued by Montgomery County, can be purchased at the Town of Blacksburg Municipal Building, cashier window on the second floor, 300 South Main Street.

Speaking of Pets

Dogs need to be on a leash when off your property and they also need to be cleaned up after. The town maintains a dog park off of Toms Creek Road where you can take Scooby for a stroll or run. Just remember to clean up after your pet.