Town Offices will reopen to the public on June 15. While we are pleased to have guests in our facilities at any time, we would ask that you continue to use alternative ways of conducting business with the Town, unless you absolutely have to visit in person. Maintaining social distancing and inhibiting the spread of the COVID-19 virus remains our primary concern.
Parks and Recreation
Effective Monday, July 6, the Commonwealth of Virginia enters Phase III. The Blacksburg Community Center and the Blacksburg Aquatic Center will operate as follows:
Blacksburg Aquatic and Blacksburg Community Centers:
- Facility hours remain the same
- Face Coverings are still required when entering and exiting facilities or program spaces
- Locker rooms remain closed through phase 3
- Due to spacing requirements, reservations may still be required for Lap swim and Fitness Center usage and fitness programs due to spacing requirements
- We’ll begin accepting cash payments, but cannot make change for drink or snack vending machines
Blacksburg Aquatics Center:
- Saunas and Hot Tubs remain closed
- Free swim: Maximum of 50 swimmers per first come, first serve session.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 12:00-2 pm and 3:00-5 pm
- Wednesday: 2:00-5pm.
- Lap swim, with reservation, 2:00-3:00 pm
- Water Walking is Wednesdays, 1:00pm-2:00
- Groups are limited to no more than 10
- Private pool rentals may resume
- No Lobby Rentals during open hours
- Current cleaning schedules remain in place
Blacksburg Community Center:
- Open gym hours:
- Monday-Friday: 5:00 pm- 7:00
- Saturday: 8:00 am- Noon
- Sunday: 1:00pm- 5:00 with reservation only. Reservations are limited to 50 minutes and begin at 10 minutes after each hour. Reservations can be made by contacting the Blacksburg Community Center at 540-443-1140.
- Basketball courts:
- Open with a maximum of 10 participants per court
- Open only for individual free shooting
- No pick-up games or competitive play
- Players must bring their own basketball equipment
- Open gym for pickleball/badminton on Saturday mornings from 8:00 am-noon with reservation only. Participants must bring their own equipment. Space is limited to 10 participants
- Personal training will resume with reservation during non-peak hours
- Private rentals may resume with the following size restrictions per room:
- Multipurpose room – No more than 50 people in the space
- Art Room – No more than 10 people in the space
- Community Room – No More than 30 people in the space
- Program Room – No more than 20 people in the space
- Social Room – No more than 10 people in the space
- Game Room – No more than 10 people in the space
- Use of the kitchens or their equipment will not be available during rentals
- Game room will not be available for public use
- Current cleaning schedule will remain in place
Blacksburg Transit is operating on reduced service; service will end at 9:45 pm on weekdays and at 7:15 pm on weekends. Face coverings are required at all times while on a bus. Rear door boarding, fare free service and passenger limits remain in effect.
- BT Access is running at full capacity.
- BT commuter and Explorer routes are suspended; passengers should call 540-443-7111 to schedule trips on the Go Anywhere service.
For information about utility services, real estate taxes, business licenses, dog licenses, parking permits, and general inquiries please visit us online or in person, or call one of the following numbers and our staff will be happy to assist you.
- General questions - (540) 443 – 1050
- Utilities - (540) 443 – 1060
- Real estate taxes - (540) 443 – 1055 or (540) 961 - 1005
To make a payment please use one of the following options:
- A drop box is available on the Washington Street side of the Municipal Building (300 S. Main St.)
- Mail checks to P.O. Box 90003, Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Call 540-443-1060 to make utility payments over the phone
- Call 540-443-1050 for other payments over the phone
- Pay utility bills, real estate taxes, motor vehicle fees or parking tickets online at www.blacksburg.gov/payments
Refuse and recycling services continue as always. For refuse and recycling questions and trash/recycling cart request please call our staff at (540) 443 – 1212 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information about the refuse and recycling schedule can be found online.
Planning and Building/Engineering and GIS
If you wish to inquire about building permits, plan reviews, submitting development plans, land use or zoning matters, or building inspections but prefer to not come to the building please call us at one of the following numbers and we will be happy to assist you.
- Building - (540) 443 – 1325
- Planning - (540) 443 – 1300
- Engineering - (540) 443 – 1300
You may also visit our website for additional information on planning, zoning, building permit, and development review information.
For water, wastewater, erosion and sediment control, mapping, geographic and information systems, right-of-way permits, and development application information please visit us online as well.
Payments to Planning and Building or Engineering and GIS may be made by phone or in person.
For the latest COVID-19, updates visit the Town of Blacksburg update page, the New River Valley Public Health Task Force page, or sign up for Citizens Alert.
- Administration - (540) 443 – 1005
- Community Relations - (540) 443 – 1090
- Police Non Emergency - (540) 443 – 1400